Why is it that people are willing to spend $20 on a bowl of pasta with sauce that they might actually be able to replicate pretty faithfully at home, yet they balk at the notion of a white-table cloth Thai restaurant, or a tacos that cost more than $3 each? Even in a city as “cosmopolitan” as New York, restaurant openings like Tamarind Tribeca (Indian) and Lotus of Siam (Thai) always seem to elicit this knee-jerk reaction from some diners who have decided that certain countries produce food that belongs in the “cheap eats” category—and it’s not allowed out. (Side note: How often do magazine lists of “cheap eats” double as rundowns of outer-borough ethnic foods?)
Yelp, Chowhound, and other restaurant sites are littered with comments like, “$5 for dumplings?? I’ll go to Flushing, thanks!” or “When I was backpacking in India this dish cost like five cents, only an idiot would pay that much!” Yet you never see complaints about the prices at Western restaurants framed in these terms, because it’s ingrained in people’s heads that these foods are somehow “worth” more. If we’re talking foie gras or chateaubriand, fair enough. But be real: You know damn well that rigatoni sorrentino is no more expensive to produce than a plate of duck laab, so to decry a pricey version as a ripoff is disingenuous. This question of perceived value is becoming increasingly troublesome as more non-native (read: white) chefs take on “ethnic” cuisines, and suddenly it’s okay to charge $14 for shu mai because hey, the chef is ELEVATING the cuisine."
— One of the entries from the list ‘20 Things Everyone Thinks About the Food World (But Nobody Will Say)’. (via crankyskirt)
the pacific rim au of legally blonde though:
elle woods trying to get into jaeger academy to win back warner.
"you got into jaeger academy?" "what, like it’s hard?"
elle woods being drift compatible with vivian.
elle falling for LOCCENT officer emmett.
elle and vivian piloting a jaeger called delta nu.
THE BEND AND SNAP AS A FIGHTING TECHNIQUE
when people i follow reblog from me i get a little thrill like
ah yes i have pleased them
I was tagged by xiphoidprocess (sorry this took so long- it’s been a long week of field work). I’m not going to tag any of my followers because they are all my favorites for the simple fact that I am amazed anyone wants to be witness to my tumblr-based randomness. Feel free to post your own random 6 facts about yourself, since clearly I am a fan of the randomness.
1. I have a least weasel (Mustela nivalis) in my freezer. It’s currently hanging out behind a container of tofu.
2. I hate running to music because I end up obsessively calculating how many songs my run will last, so I listen to audiobooks or podfics.
3. The only reason I have any clue as to rank/hierarchy in the armed forces is from watching Star Trek and M*A*S*H.
4. I am one of those boring people who is 100% happy to eat the same exact thing every single day. This week my diet has consisted primarily of vegetarian sausage, chocolate milk, peach yogurt, and goldfish crackers. Every. Single. Day.
5. I really want one of those big free-standing bathtubs with clawed feet. That is basically my #1 life goal these days.
6. The only things that have left permanent scars on my person (so far) are a pet rabbit, a channel catfish, the corner of a piece of molding in our bathroom, a neurologically damaged red-tailed hawk, an extremely ill-tempered turkey vulture, and the asphalt behind the gym of my elementary school.